The Right Connection-Financial and Emergency Assistance
The Right Connection-Utility Assistance
The Right Connection-Housing
The Right Connection-Veterans
If you are experiencing homelessness or know of someone who needs help, please call 885-9-HOMELESS (855-9-46635377)
RETURNING HOPE TO RETURNING CITIZENS (for formerly incarcerated persons)
The “Here to Help Foundation” out of Royal Oak, MI. has created the Returning Hope to Returning Citizens program: a very personalized plan of total assistance from the time an individual walks out of prison, which includes help with the following:
· Provide gift cards to obtain a large amount of new clothing and basic
necessities upon release from prison, as most often times the returning
citizen has nothing but the clothes they wore while walking out of prison.
· Provide information on obtaining a State ID or Driver's License or
Social Security card and, where applicable, how to apply for Disability benefits.
· Provide detailed referral sources for obtaining employment or job
training and can assist with applications etc.
· Once an income is established through employment (or Disability benefits),
they provide additional gift cards for remaining needs, including required
work-related clothing/shoes/boots etc.
· Where someone has a particular skill and their job requires tools or
equipment, they can assist with the purchase of those items.
· The next step is moving from transitional housing. They provide referral
sources for renting an apartment or house as well as assistance with
negotiation of the lease.
· Once a residence is obtained, they assist with some of the move-in costs.
· After moving, they can help with furniture along with home furnishings
(for example - dishes, glasses, cooking utensils, pots/pans, linens, towels etc.)
· If someone has shown a successful start with their full-time job
but transportation is a problem in getting to work, they can help by providing
a used vehicle (where it is established the returning citizen will be able to
afford insurance, car repairs and maintenance etc.)
· Lastly, if down the road a returning citizen encounters an emergency
situation, and they qualify for one of our other programs, then they
can provide assistance (such as Road Ready Repairs
or Let's Keep the Lights On etc.).
If you or someone you know has recently been released from prison and is in need of assistance through a program like this, email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
They also offer additional assistance including paying for job certification expenses, offering financial literacy help and mentoring and support groups, and engaging as a referral source for other organizations that assist returning citizens with record expungement, mental health care, phones etc.